Team Building Workshop Program
The Team Building Workshop (TBW) Program provides specialized consultant services to assist the Management Team of a local agency with problem solving, developing organizational goals and objectives, and team building. To participate in the TBW Program, an agency must be a member of the POST reimbursement program. In addition, an agency is eligible for a POST-approved Team Building Workshop every two years (every other fiscal year).
A Team Building Workshop is usually structured as a three-phase process: (1) identification of need, (2) workshop session, and (3) follow-up evaluation.
- Identification of Need: The presenter certified by POST to conduct the workshop is required to survey the agency to develop preliminary information about the problem(s) and issue(s) to be addressed in the workshop.
- Workshop Session: Twenty-four (24) hours are set aside for group work at an off-site location. During the workshop, an action plan is developed to resolve the identified problem(s) and issue(s).
- Follow-up Evaluation: The presenter is required to contact the agency within six months following the workshop to monitor the agency’s action plan implementation.
Identification of Need
- Organization diagnostics by presenter
- Development of workshop agenda
- Small group work
- Complete workshop agenda
- Develop action plan
- Presenter monitors action plan implementation
Because a Team Building Workshop is not a training class, it does not qualify for Continuing Professional Training (CPT) credits.
The following program guidelines are established to ensure equity in the application of Team Building Workshop Program resources:
- POST and the client agency are co-clients of the TBW presenter.
- TBW activities are confidential. Information derived during the TBW process may not be released without the prior consent of POST and all workshop participants.
- POST-certified presenters may not contract with TBW client agencies for private consulting services for a six-month period following a TBW presentation.
The workshop group must include a minimum of five (5) participants. POST reimbursement is limited to a maximum of nineteen (19) participants.
An application that clearly describes the need for more than 19 participants must receive the joint approval of the TBW presenter and POST. Costs for additional participants must be borne by the agency.
New applications will be accepted on or after May 1st each year. Applications received before the opening date will be returned.
To apply for a Team Building Workshop, the agency executive should:
- Review this information for specific information about agency qualifications.
- Complete the TBW application
- Mail the completed application to:
Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training
1601 Alhambra Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95816-7083
Attn: Executive Director
Applications may be faxed to POST at (916) 227-0195, Attention: Management Counseling, Leadership Development Bureau. (Please follow-up all faxed applications by mailing the original document.)
If an agency experiences a compelling need for a workshop due to a management crisis, and all workshops have been allocated for that year, the agency may request an urgency exemption.
To request an urgency exemption, the agency head must prepare a letter to the POST Executive Director, which includes the following:
- A clear explanation of the “urgent need” being experienced, and
- A list of the names and titles of the individuals who will attend the workshop.
Application Approval Process
TBW applications are reviewed for approval in the order received.
TBW approval is based upon need, history of use, and action from previous workshops, as described in the TBW application.
Applicants will be notified in writing within 30 days of POST action concerning the request. After a TBW request is approved, the agency may make arrangements with a certified presenter to conduct the workshop. The workshop must be completed during the fiscal year for which it is approved.
Team Building Workshops are certified under Reimbursement Plan IV.
An agency fee of $5,550 for each workshop will be reimbursed. The fee includes:
- Presenter’s fee
- Presenter’s travel
- Presenter’s per diem expenses
- Conference room rental
- Miscellaneous workshop expenses
- Presenters have agreed to provide all of the described TBW services for the fee amount. Costs paid to the presenter in addition to the POST-approved fee are discouraged and will not be reimbursed.
A special limit on travel reimbursement applies. Travel will be reimbursed to a maximum of 200 (round-trip) miles for every four workshop attendees. (NOTE: Due to the distance limitation, POST subsistence reimbursement will most likely not cover the full lodging cost for the night before the workshop begins. Please consider arranging your starting time on the first day to accommodate travel that morning.)
POST must receive the following documents before reimbursement is provided for a Team Building Workshop.
The presenter must provide a:
The agency must provide a:
- Team Building Workshop Action Plan, developed during the workshop and submitted to POST within 30 days following completion of the workshop.