Changing Attitudes... Improving Training... Increasing Accountability... Mobilizing Leadership...
SAFE Driving Campaign News Alert Launch
April 5, 2012
The California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) is pleased to announce the launch of the SAFE Driving Campaign News Alert. This News Alert is specific to the SAFE Driving Campaign and will provide recipients with links to training materials, news articles, research studies, videos, and other information that furthers the goal of reducing law enforcement fatalities and career-ending injuries resulting from vehicle collisions.
What is the SAFE Driving Campaign?
The SAFE Driving Campaign is a POST initiative focused on changing attitudes, improving training, increasing accountability, and mobilizing leadership to reduce fatal and serious injury law enforcement traffic collisions nationwide.
How serious is this concern?
- From 1997 through 2010, traffic-related fatalities were the leading cause of line-of-duty deaths for law enforcement officers.
- Traffic accidents kill or end the careers of more officers than firearms or assaults.
- The number of law enforcement officers killed in vehicle collisions has been increasing since the end of the 1990s.
- 5,364 officers whose names reside on the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial died as the result of traffic-related incidents.
- For each traffic collision resulting in an officer fatality, there are more than 100 officer-involved injury collisions.
Why are you receiving this News Alert?
Because regardless of whether you are a law enforcement executive, manager, supervisor, trainer, or line staff, we all can make a difference by advocating SAFE driving practices. Recipients are encouraged to forward this News Alert throughout their agency. Those not already receiving the News Alert may subscribe.
How often will this News Alert be sent out?
Our goal is to provide relevant information in a timely fashion without flooding your email inbox. On average, we anticipate alerts being sent no more than twice a month.
Wear your seatbelt, watch your speed, and practice SAFE driving!
The SAFE Driving Campaign is a POST initiative focused on reducing fatal and serious injury law enforcement traffic collisions nationwide. For further information regarding the SAFE Driving Campaign, visit the SAFE Driving Campaign on the POST Website or contact:
Robert "R.C." Smith, POST Senior Consultant
Training Program Services Bureau