|Course Title||JRA Conference (2019)
|Provider||Johnson, Roberts and Associates, Inc
|Instructor(s)||Mike Roberts, Ryan Roberts, Jeni McCutcheon, Jocelyn E. Roland, Maria Galmarini, Vanessa Perez, Paul Detrick
|Method of Instruction||Workshop/Seminar
00-JRA Conference Agenda.pdf
A full day course addressing assessment issues and new research in police and public safety psychological screening.
Presentation: CPI 260 Police and Public Safety Report: Brief Review (Ryan Roberts and Mike Roberts) 8:45 am-9:45 am (1 hour)
• Gain an understanding of why the CPI 260 report can be interpreted the same as the CPI 434 report when screening police and other public safety job applicants.
• Be able to articulate the advantages of the new CPI 260 report features such as: interpretive statements for validity determination, bidirectional interpretive guidance, score-triggered scale descriptions and scale descriptions based on both community and special group norms.
• Learn how to use the appropriate test reports and interpretive guidance to assess public safety job applicants.
Presentation: “The Times They Are A Changing:” Agency Marijuana Use Policies are Evolving Rapidly (Ryan Roberts and Mike Roberts) 9:45 am-10:45 am (1 hour)
• Understand how changing social and political attitudes toward marijuana use are resulting in changes to employment screening criteria.
• Learn how the changes in screening criteria have changed psychologist’s relationships with agency managers.
• Incorporate the understanding of how the new standards and laws can be incorporated in the psychologist’s screening practice.
Presentation: Panel on Real-World Dilemmas in Public Safety Psychological Assessments: Balancing Competent Practice, Maintaining Business and Responsiveness to Client Demands (Jeni McCutcheon, Jocelyn E. Roland, Maria Galmarini, Vanessa Perez) 11:00 am-12:30 pm (1.5 hours)
• Participants will be able to identify several examples of real-world dilemmas in psychological assessment service provision.
• Participants will gain a greater awareness of the importance of attending to emerging and cultural diversity issues that may be relevant and valuable to consider when working with client agencies.
• Participants will be able to identify two strategies to maintain competent practice while being responsive to client requests and demands.
PRESENTATION: PHQ and PsyQ Update: Response to a Shifting Legal Landscape (Ryan Roberts and Mike Roberts) 1:00 pm-2:00 pm (1 hour)
• Understand how local states and municipalities are passing laws that restrict questions that can be asked during preemployment screening.
• Learn how JRA software allow you to customize the PsyQ OR PHQ questionnaires to conform to local mandates.
• Use this understanding about how local mandates on questions permitted for screening can impact traditional selection criteria, and what to do about it.
PRESENTATION: Response Bias on the CPI: Preliminary Findings (Paul Detrick and Ryan Roberts) 2:00 pm - 3:00pm (1 hour)
• Learn why response bias does not attenuate the relationship between personality measures and criterion related validity on personality questionnaires.
• Incorporate the finding that some CPI scales and indices are not affected by situational demand and that they can be interpreted without a consideration of the Gi level.
• Learn which CPI scales are affected by situational demand and how to incorporate that into your suitability formulation.
PRESENTATION: Improving the Security of Your Assessment Practice: HIPPA Compliance in Public Safety Assessment (Ryan Roberts) 3:15 pm - 4:15pm (1 hour)
• Understand the legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard the confidential medical information obtained during the preemployment screening process.
• Learn about stand-of-care techniques such as “Whole Hard Drive Encryption,” and “2-Factor Authentication” to prevent theft of your sensitive data.
• Incorporate procedures like “Last Pass” to enable you to use complex passwords to further prevent the theft of you sensitive data.
• Use best-practice techniques like local backup encryption and automatic offsite backup services to comply with legal and ethical requirements to safeguard your confidential data.
PRESENTATION: Test Correlates of Academy and FTO Failure: A Pilot Study (Ryan Roberts) 4:15 pm - 4:45pm (0.5 hours)
• Understand the correlation between psychologist’s preemployment suitability rating and post hiring job outcome at the Academy and FTO level.
• Learn which psychological screening test scales and indices are most indicative of success at the probation stage.
• Understand factors that limit the findings of this kind of study.