Executive Development Course
The Executive Development Course (EDC) is the last in a series of professional development programs offered by POST and is intended to enhance the leadership potential and capabilities of law enforcement executives. The EDC is an 80-hour course conducted in two separate one-week sessions.
Completion of the EDC is a requirement for a department head to receive their POST Executive Certificate [Commission Regulation 1011 (a) (11)].
The EDC addresses a broad range of contemporary topics, issues and trends relevant to the law enforcement executive. These include:
- Perspectives on the executive leadership role in law enforcement
- Contemporary issues, principled policing, and community perspectives affecting law enforcement leadership
- Understanding and navigating local government, budgets, and the City/County Management Police Executive Relationship
- The integration of ethics and value-based principles into the core operating philosophy and culture of the organization
- Principles of strategic and transition management when planning for and implementing change
- Organizational interventions and critical incident care management
- Risk management, internal auditing, systems analysis and performance measures
- Internal/External accountability systems, misconduct prevention and early detection strategies
- Crisis communications and media competency
- Current legal issues regarding organizational liability, internal discipline, forms of discrimination, and personal liability
The EDC utilizes facilitative learning techniques to encourage individual participation and group interaction. To ensure a professionally enriching experience, every person attending the EDC is expected to actively contribute to the discussion. Participants should be prepared to share their professional experience and perspectives, as well as their organizational challenges and successes, for the benefit of all in attendance.
Application Instructions and Qualifications
WHO MAY ATTEND: The Executive Development Course (EDC) is designed for department heads and their executive staff but is open to all personnel at the rank of lieutenant or above who have successfully completed the POST Management Course (requirements for the EDC are set forth in Commission Procedure Section D-5).
WAIVER: The POST Executive Director may waive the Management Course prerequisite for a chief executive who has completed training comparable to a POST Management Course (refer to Commission Procedure Section D-15 for information on the waiver process).
ATTENDANCE: Officers in middle management (typically third-level lieutenants and commanders) require department head authorization.
APPLYING: For department heads and executive staff, please complete the EDC application. If authorization is required, note the department head name and check the attestation box prior to submission.
Complete the EDC application to apply for the Executive Development Course.