Training Reimbursement Program

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Answers

POST has been asked various questions regarding the Training Reimbursement Program. The following sections are intended to answer the most frequently asked questions (FAQs):

In addition please view the PAM Section E - Reimbursement Procedures for further reimbursement information.

1. How far back can old TRR’s be submitted?
TRRs can be submitted during the current fiscal year and as far back as 2 previous fiscal years. For example, if today’s date is 2-14-2012 (which is FY 11/12), TRRs can be submitted for training which occurred as far back as July 1, 2009 (FY 09-10).

2. If a course is Plan N/A, does an agency still need to submit a TRR?
No. Plan N/A means there is no reimbursement for this course.

3. If the agency ledger shows “No Reimbursement Requested,” how does an agency claim reimbursement for that person?
The agency must submit a TRR showing the expenses claimed, the course control number, and send the TRR directly to the POST Reimbursement Unit.

4. Can POST send agency ledgers from the prior month? Year?
Yes, if requested, agency ledgers can be sent for the prior month or year.

5. Where do the checks go each month when POST reimburses the agency?
Checks for sheriff’s departments are sent to the county treasurer’s office. All other checks are sent to the agency’s department head or chief.

6. What is reimbursable for the Basic Academy?
For the Basic Academy, reimbursement is:

  • $50 per day for resident lodging and meals
  • $8 per day for lunch for commuter trainees
  • $0.56 per mile

If the course is a Plan III, the driver training fee is reimbursable. Note: The maximum number of days reimbursable for the Basic Course is 83 days.

7. Can an agency that sent a person through the Basic Academy still get reimbursement if that person resigns a few days after graduation?
Yes, an agency can still claim reimbursement.

8. Does POST reimburse for non-completion of the Basic Course?
Yes, if a trainee resigns or is injured and does not complete the Basic Course, the agency can claim reimbursement for the number of days the trainee attended up to the maximum of 83 days.

9. How does an agency notify POST that they are paying overtime for officers?
It is not necessary to notify POST when paying overtime. Agencies are required to keep detailed records showing proof of the overtime for audit purposes.

10. What is the maximum number of hours for backfill?
The maximum number of hours for backfill is the number of certified course hours plus 16 hours (which is based on an allowance for 8 hours driving time before and after the course). For example, if the course is 32 hours in length, an agency claiming backfill could be reimbursed for up to 48 hours.

11. Is travel time included with the backfill hours?
Yes, travel time may be claimed up to 16 hours over the number of certified course hours. (See #10 above)

12. How far away does the hotel have to be from the agency for the trainee to be a resident?
There is currently no mileage restriction to prevent a trainee from being a “resident”.

13. What should an agency claim when two officers share a room?
When two officers share a room, the “resident” and “subsistence” boxes should be checked for both officers. A notation should be made on the TRR stating that Officer “A” shared a room with Officer “B”.

14. Can an agency be reimbursed for mileage for an agency vehicle?
Yes, an agency may be reimbursed for the use of an agency vehicle.

15. What is the mileage rate for drivers?
The mileage reimbursement rate for drivers is $0.56 per mile. No reimbursement may be claimed for passengers.