Training Reimbursement Request

Frequently Asked Questions

POST has been asked various questions regarding Training Reimbursement Requests. The following is intended to answer the most frequently asked questions (FAQs):

  1. What is a Training Reimbursement Request (TRR)?
    Agencies participating in the POST Reimbursable Program who request reimbursement for their employee(s) attending POST-certified training courses shall do so by means of the web-based Automated Paperless Training Reimbursement Request (eTRR) system, which is a program developed from the paper-based POST Training Reimbursement Request (TRR) form.
  2. Can I submit a paper TRR?
    Paper TRRs are no longer acceptable. As of August 1, 2017, agencies must submit an electronic (e)-TRR within the fiscal year (FY) training was completed. In exceptional circumstances, with pre-approval by POST, agencies may request reimbursement utilizing a Training Reimbursement (2-273) (Rev. 04/2015), in lieu of the eTRR. If used, the TRR form may be submitted to the training course presenter at the time of the course, or be mailed directly to POST.
  3. How do I complete an automated paperless eTRR?
    The Training Reimbursement Request form in EDI must be completed in its entirety in order to submit. To learn how to complete an eTRR, watch the eTRR training video  (mp4) and follow the below instructions. Also watch the eTRR Overview Webinar recording for more details.
    1. Log into EDI. Sign in using your POST PASS username and password.
    2. Click on the “Reimbursement” tab and then click “Enter TRRs.”
    3. You will be presented with two options to find the course that you would like to submit for reimbursement. The first option allows you to search for a course within the current fiscal year by clicking “View Presentations.” The second option allows you to enter the Course Control Number (CCN), if you have it available. Once you have entered the CCN, click “View Presentation.”
    4. To begin the TRR process, click “Modify Details.”
    5. Fill out the “Trainee Status,” “Resident or Commuter,” “Transportation,” and “Allowance Requested.”
      • Trainee Status: For each trainee, check the most applicable option indicating the trainee's status. Brief definitions of each status follow:
        • Peace Officer - An employee subject to assignment of the prevention and detection of crime and the general enforcement of the criminal laws of this state.
        • Records Supervisor - A full-time, non-peace officer who performs law enforcement records supervisor duties 50% or more of the time within a pay period.
        • Dispatcher - A non-peace officer who performs duties which include receiving emergency calls for law enforcement service and/or dispatching law enforcement personnel.
        • Non-Peace Officer - Is a civilian, non-sworn employee. (See dispatcher or records supervisor, if more applicable).
      • Resident or Commuter Trainee
        • Resident Trainee - The trainee, while attending the course, takes lodging and meals at or near the course site for the entire duration of the course. Note: A trainee not meeting all the conditions of the resident trainee definition and who resides for only a portion of the course, must be shown as a commuter trainee.
        • Commuter Trainee - The trainee will travel daily between his or her department, or normal residence, and the course site.
      • Transportation
        • Driver of Vehicle - The trainee is the driver of a private, agency, or rental vehicle used for transportation to and from the training site.
        • Passenger in Vehicle - The trainee was a passenger in, not the driver of, a private, agency, rental vehicle. If driving was shared by one or more trainees, indicate only one trainee as the driver.
        • Other - Check this column if any other mode of transportation, such as commercial air travel, was used.
      • Allowance Requested: Checking a column indicates that the agency will pay those associated expenses to or for the trainee.
        • Subsistence - Only resident trainees may claim this allowance.
        • Commuter Lunch - Only commuter trainees may claim this allowance.
        • Travel - Trainee may claim travel allowance if he/she is the driver of the vehicle (not passenger) or if “Other” is checked in column G.
  4. How long do I have to submit an eTRR?
    Acceptance will be allowed up to 60 days after the end of the Fiscal Year.
  5. Where do I submit an eTRR form?
    eTRR's must be submitted electronically through EDI.
  6. How do I submit an eTRR?
    The video provides instructions on how to submit an eTRR (mp4).
  7. Where is my missing eTRR?
    • The Plan is not eligible for reimbursement
    • Trainee is not listed on the course roster
    • eTRR was not located for this trainee for this course
    • eTRR may have been placed on hold and was not processed during the closing
    Questions can be directed to Reimbursement Support, (916) 227-3909
  8. Which California Code of Regulations discuss TRRs?
  9. How do I locate bulletins that discuss TRRs?
    Bulletins are viewable on the POST Website.
  10. What are the current rates of reimbursement approved by the POST Commission?
    Expense Reimbursement Rate
    Back-Fill Reimbursement 100% actual salary cost at overtime rate: time and one-half
    Basic Course Subsistence $75.00 per day for lodging and meals, or Commuter Lunch
    Commuter Lunch $8.00 per day
    Subsistence allowance - by location where expense occurred  
    County Reimbursement Rate
    All counties not shown below $128.00 per day
    Alameda County $189.00 per day
    Los Angeles County $156.00 per day
    San Diego County $156.00 per day
    San Francisco County $189.00 per day
    San Mateo County $189.00 per day
    Santa Clara County $189.00 per day
    Travel For current mileage rate, visit CalHR.
    Tuition 100% or as listed in POST Catalog of Certified Courses
  11. POST-approved Training Presenters shall be based on schedules know as "plans." What is reimbursed for each Plan?
    Plan Reimbursements
    Plan I Subsistence (lodging and meals); Commuter Lunch; Travel (mileage); Tuition; Back-fill Salary
    Plan II Subsistence; Commuter Lunch; Travel; Back-fill Salary
    Plan III Subsistence; Commuter Lunch; Travel; Tuition
    Plan IV Subsistence; Commuter Lunch; Travel
    Plan V Subsistence: Commuter Lunch; Travel, Training Presentation Costs
    Plan VI (Regional Training Plan) Subsistence; Commuter Lunch; Travel; Training Presentation Costs
    Plan VII (Regional Training Plan) Subsistence; Commuter Lunch; Travel; Training Presentation Costs; Back-fill Salary
    Each Plan is subject to the provisions established by the Commission. Below are ways to obtain further information about Training Courses.
    • POST Regulation, Commission Procedure D, Catalog of Certified Courses
    • By contacting the presenter or course coordinator
    • By contacting the POST Course Control Coordinator at (916) 227-4862
  12. If a course is Plan N/A, does an agency still need to submit an eTRR?
    No. Plan N/A means there is no reimbursement for this course.
  13. Is Back-fill being paid upon request?
    Plan I, II, and Plan VII (Regional Training Plan) are eligible for back-fill awards upon request by submitting an eTRR and upon approval by POST. Visit Commission Regulation 1015(c) for further information.
  14. What is reimbursable for the Basic Academy?
    • $75 per day for lodging and meals, or $8 per day for lunch and mileage
    • For current mileage rate, visit CalHR.
  15. Is per diem reimbursed if training is changed from in-person to online?
    If training (i.e., 2-day, 1-week, 2-weeks) is changed from in-person to Zoom/online/virtual per diem is NOT reimbursed so long as there was no per diem costs to the trainee or agency.
  16. How do I contact the POST EDI Reimbursement Team?
  17. Are non-sworn personnel eligible for reimbursements?
    Yes. Non-sworn personnel performing police tasks and personnel attending the Basic Course are eligible for reimbursement. The training shall be specific to the task being currently performed by an employee or may be training specific to a future assignment which is actually being planned. For a list of eligible non-sworn employees please refer to Commission Regulation 1014.
  18. What if I need to amend an eTRR that has already been submitted?
    Send an email with the requested amendment(s) to
  19. How is mileage (Travel) calculated?
    Total mileage shall include adjusted straight-line mileage distance to and from the trainee's agency station assignment or headquarters; whichever is the lesser distance, and the course site, the average daily mileage for transportation between the resident trainee's accommodations and the course site, and the mileage incurred by a trainee to attend training at a location different from the main course site. Travel (mileage) allowance is intended to cover expenses to and from the course site. ( Commission Regulation 1015(e)(3)(A)).
  20. Are there a mileage limitation tied to reimbursements?
    The only Reimbursement Plan that limits mileage are courses that are certified under Plan VI (refer to Commission Regulation 1015 for details)
  21. Who is eligible for Back-fill reimbursements?
    Back-fill reimbursement is available for peace officers, safety dispatchers, or public safety dispatchers. When applying for reimbursement for back-fill costs, the agency must have incurred the expense of paying overtime to fill a position vacated by an officer, public safety dispatcher, or public safety dispatch supervisor assigned to training. The overtime expense and back-fill claim must be directly connected to release and back-fill for a trainee, and records supporting back-fill claims must be maintained. Participating agencies are subject to audit by the State Controller.
  22. If a student does not complete a class can we submit for partial reimbursements?
    No, but there is an exception. Students must successfully complete the class to be eligible for reimbursement. The exceptions are the Basic Course (see Commission Regulation 1015 for more details) and Motorcycle Training Course. The POST Executive Director is authorized administrative discretion for partial reimbursements for the Motorcycle Training Course.
  23. Are in-house courses eligible for reimbursements?
    Yes. As long as the certified course has a POST Plan that allows for reimbursement. Also courses whose address is the same as the headquarters address will not be authorized for travel reimbursement.
  24. Do all non-sworn employees have to have a Notice of Appointment on file with POST to be eligible for reimbursements?
    No. Peace Officers, Records Supervisors and Dispatchers are all required to have a Notice of Appointment on File. When submitting an eTRR for other non-sworn employees you can select ‘Non-peace officer’ under the Trainee Status on the eTRR. Please feel free to list the non-sworn person’s actual rank in the Comments section of the eTRR. Non-sworn employees who do not have a POST ID number automatically get a POST ID number once they successfully complete a POST-certified course and the course roster is entered into EDI.
  25. Are students in the Basic Course eligible for reimbursement?
    Yes, but they must be appointed as a trainee. Students who are self-sponsored during a Basic Course are not eligible for reimbursement.
  26. Can we submit for back-fill reimbursement if we must pay an officer or dispatcher overtime to go to a class on their days off?
    Yes (Commission Regulation 1015(i)(3))